Thursday, December 11, 2008

Database Pages Progress

I've been working on CH's copy. Since the DBs are, as I've said, the crown jewels of our site, I think it's necessary to ask you all for input. What I have here is just about "done," although the A-Z EBSCO link is wrong on over half of the subject pages, so I'll have to go fix those anyway.

1. Databases By Name:
http://www.ulm.edu/~niemla/done-kn/dbs/name.html

a) Quick List: The only difference between the "quick" and "expanded" lists is that some names have been simplified and the EBSCO DBs are not expanded. Most of our students just know EBSCOhost as "EBSCO" and don't think about it being an aggregator, etc., and might be intimidated by a big list. And really, they don't need to know that. All they want is to get in, and that's just fine.

b) I need a link for "Lexi-PALS Drug Guide," on the Health Sciences list (which, I must confess, I've never heard of before). All of the others have links, though.

c) Both of the lists also contain the DBs that are on the LOUIS DB list but not our home page.

d) Database Tools: I'm unsure if this is needed, but I put it there anyway. They're in the the other lists also, but they're not really DBs in themselves.

e) The list on name.html is made of the LOUIS list (because it had links) and CH's copy.

f) Will ARTSTOR, if it ever comes, have its own link or will it be seen as an extension of JSTOR (I recall that they used to advertise it by placing an "artstor" tab in JSTOR to trick unsubscribed people into clicking on it)?

2. Databases By Subject:
http://www.ulm.edu/~niemla/done-kn/dbs/subject/

a) I decided to give each subject area its own page. An idea I had before was to have them all on one page and then use anchors to link to each one, but in order to bookmark it the user would have to take care to bookmark that particular anchor link (as in, going to the main URL and scrolling down and bookmarking would bookmark the whole page, not that particular part). Here's the yardstick: "Could my mother figure that out?" The answer is a concrete "No."

b) Since there are to be so many of them, the pages will reside in their own /subject directory. The links already work, but the pages are incomplete templates for now. "dbs" is just where I'm keeping all of these, but they will work in any directory as long as it's "X"/subject

d) There are some lesser known DBs now on the "by name" list. If you want to add/subtract DBs from your lists, let me know.

3. Newspapers:
http://www.ulm.edu/~niemla/done-kn/dbs/newspapers.html

Yes. It really is that short.

Are we really going to have a page of just that? Is there anything more to add? It's even on the home page. (I suppose it's a well-known fact that I've always been skeptical of this page. It's not that I don't like it, it's just that I can't envision what to put on it. Maybe someone else can.)

No comments: